For Immediate Release: Media Contact: Valerie Marchand
December 28, 2018 517-483-4179
Secondary Contact: Richard LaMay
Street Closings for Gubernatorial Inauguration
The City of Lansing Public Service Department announces the following street closures will be in effect on Tuesday, January 1, 2019
in order to accommodate the inaugural events of Governor-Elect Gretchen Whitmer.
The Michigan State Police have requested the streets around the State Capitol be closed.
Beginning around 6:30 a.m., the following streets will be closed to vehicular traffic:
- Capitol Avenue between Ionia Street and Washtenaw Street,
- Ottawa Street between Washington Square and Chestnut Street,
- Allegan Street between Pine Street and Washington Square,
- Walnut Street between Washtenaw Street and Ionia Street,
- Seymour Street between Ionia Street and Ottawa Street (VIP Parking will be allowed access to the Roosevelt Ramp from Ionia Street)
- Michigan Avenue between Washington Square and Capitol Avenue.
All streets will reopen at the completion of the scheduled events.
If access within the event route is needed, there will be Lansing Police Department and Michigan State Police personnel and/or police authorized personnel located at the intersections to help guide motorists safely to their destinations with minimal delays.
Drivers are advised to seek alternate routes.