Hazardous Waste

The Ingham County Health Department offers free collection of these hazardous household wastes:
  • Aerosols 
  • Home repair products (glues, cements)
  • Acids and bases (pool chemicals)
  • Automotive products
  • Cleaners and polishers
  • Gasoline and other flammables
  • Photographic chemicals
  • Oil paints and paint products (thinners, solvents, varnish)
  • Pesticides
  • Wood preservatives
  • Mercury (thermometers, thermostats)
The Ingham County Health Department, located at the corner of Cedar St. and Jolly Rd., collects hazardous waste for free every Tuesday and Thursday from 2 p.m to 6 p.m during the months of May to September.  For more information, please call (517) 887-4312.

For additional waste management resources, click here.

Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFL)

To be accepted, fluorescent lights should be:
  • Packaged individually to allow EH personnel to transfer individual lights to waste hauler disposal containers.
  • Should not be wrapped or taped together since this can easily break the lights (especially long fluorescent tubes), causing a risk to yourself and EH personnel. 
  • In Ingham County, collections of CFL bulbs take place every Tuesday and Thursday from 2 p.m to 6 p.m at the Ingham County Health Department from May to September.  The Health Department is located at the corner of Cedar St. and Jolly Rd.  For more information, call (517) 887-4312.
  • The Board of Water and Light also offers a free drop-off for CFL bulbs at their customer service center, located at 1232 Haco Drive.  The center is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
  • Home Depot stores also accept CFL bulbs.

RV Trailer Dump Sites

View our directory for Sewage Waste Disposal for Recreational Vehicles (PDF).

You can find locations that accept RV trailer waste at the following websites: