Marijuana License Renewal & Transfer
- Should be started at least 60 days before your license expires, to meet state renewal timelines.
- Attestations will NOT be given until your City of Lansing renewal application is approved.
- All application information must be submitted. If there are no changes to the information submitted in a section, you may resubmit the same material.
- New Stakeholder Packets must be submitted for all stakeholders.
- Operator & Employee Packets only need be submitted for New Employees.
- $5,000 application fee must be submitted before approvals will begin.
- Only fully licensed (State and City) entities may be transferred.
- Current owner must submit via email a request for the transfer to [email protected].
- Prospective new owner must submit a complete application.
- Prospective new owner must submit $5,000 application fee before approval process will begin.
- Current owner will be contacted before approval process begins.
- After new owner is conditionally approved they must supply State of Michigan licenses AND the current owner must surrender their City of Lansing license before the new owner’s license will be issued.
Re-Organization (No Fee)
- New stakeholders must submit everything in stakeholder packet.
- They must submit an I-CHAT background check that is no more than 90 days old.
- Each new stakeholder must supply a resume.
- Organizational paperwork including: articles of organization, organizational structure, organization chart, and any documents removing existing stakeholders must also be submitted.
Location Transfer (No Fee)
- Only fully licensed (State and City) entities may be transferred.
- A complete application must be submitted on-line.
- The new location must be approved by all departments and the Clerk.
Marijuana Operations Application General Instructions
Applications will only be accepted electronically.
- All attachments must be in a PDF format.
- PDF files should be compressed to the smallest size possible.
- Please have all documents from the checklist ready to upload before opening the application link.
- If you need more time to get additional documents together, please save your application as a draft and come back to it when you are ready.
- Applications left open for more than 24 hours will need to be started over.
- It is highly recommended to have all the documents from the checklist ready for uploading prior to submission. The checklist can be open while going through the application submission process.
- Each section includes the Ordinance citation. Click here to reference the Ordinance. Multiple files may be uploaded in each section. For example: Criminal History Background Check Paperwork – you may upload as many documents as you have stakeholders and employees.
- Each section may be reviewed by a different evaluator. Only the information attached to each section will be used to evaluate that section.
- Supporting documents such as quotes, receipts, equipment specifications, agreements, bank statements, etc. must be uploaded in the sections you intend them to support.
- It is permissible to upload the same supporting document for several sections, if applicable.
- If you have submitted the wrong document prior to submission of the application, or wish to update a document after submission of the application, please notify the Clerk’s Office in writing at [email protected] .
- It is the responsibility of the submitter to ensure they receive an email confirming the receipt of their application. If they do NOT receive an email with a confirmation number within 24 hours of submitting the application, it is the submitter’s responsibility to notify the Clerk’s Office in writing at [email protected].
- Payment of the $5,000 application fee must be RECEIVED by the Clerk’s Office before the application will be reviewed, and should be remitted within 24 hours of application submission. Failure to remit payment in a timely manner may result in denial of your application.
- Cash, Credit Card, Debit Card, Check, Electronic Check (ACH) & Money Order are accepted.
- Checks and Money Orders should be made out to City of Lansing.
- Checks and Money Orders may be delivered in person or by courier to the Clerk’s Election Unit at 2500 S Washington Ave., Lansing, 48910, using the rear entrance of the building.
- Checks and Money Orders may be sent by trackable mail to:
Lansing City Clerk
Medical Marijuana Licensing Unit 124 W. Michigan Ave, 9th Floor Lansing MI 48933-1695.
- Electronic Checks (ACH), Credit and Debit cards are accepted through the City’s Point and Pay site. There is a 3% convenience fee for credit and debit card transactions.
It is the responsibility of the submitter to ensure they receive an email confirming the receipt of their application. If they do NOT receive an email with a confirmation number within 24 hours it is the submitter’s responsibility to notify the Clerk’s Office in writing at [email protected].
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Do I have to wait for an open window of my license type to renew my license?
A. NO. Renewal Applications are accepted at any time. You do not need to wait for an open window.
Q. How far in advance of my license expiration should I apply for a renewal?
A. It is recommended your submit your renewal application 60-90 days before your license expires.
Q. The state is asking for my renewal Attestation I, how do I get that from the Clerk?
A. In order to be eligible for your Renewal Attestation I you must apply for your renewal AND be conditionally approved. Attestation I will not be issued until you have passed all required departmental approvals and your application status is updated to conditionally approved.
Q. How long will it take to receive conditional approval for my renewal application?
A. Generally 2-3 weeks. However, due to the novel Coronavirus COVID-19 Pandemic it may take longer, especially if an on-site Building Safety Inspection is required.
Q. Are on-site Building Safety Inspections always required for my license renewal to be approved?
A. It depends, there are several factors which determine if a Building Safety Inspection is necessary. They include whether or not you have pulled construction permits, and whether or not you have had an inspection for another license type at that location within the past year. A Building Safety Inspector will reach out to you to schedule an inspection if one is required.
Q. I've found a better location for my conditionally approved marijuana operation. Can I transfer this to a new location?
A. No, only fully licensed entities are eligible for location transfer.
Q. I would like to sell my property, which has a conditionally approved marijuana operation. Can I transfer the conditional approval to the new owner?
A. No, only fully licensed entities are eligible for ownership transfer.
Q. I would like to add/remove stakeholders to/from my company. Is this allowed?
A. Yes, you are allowed to add or remove stakeholders from your company. New stakeholders will have to complete a stakeholder packet, and pass the LPD, Treasury, and City Attorney background checks. This is referred to as a Re-Organization (Re-Org).
Q. How do I apply for a Transfer or Re-Org?
A. Start by emailing the Marijuana Operations Licensing Clerk, Jennifer Smith-Zande, at [email protected] with an outline of your transfer or re-org request.
Q. Is there a fee to Transfer or Re-Org my Marijuana License?
A. At this time there is no fee to Transfer your location or Re-Org your company. However, if you would like to completely transfer ownership (i.e. sell your business) to another company the new applicant will need to pay the $5,000 license fee.