Can I rake and/or blow leaves into the street?

No. Raking and/or blowing leaves into the street is a violaton of City Ordinance and violators may be issued a citation. If you have a neighbor who is doing this and would like to report it, please contact the Public Service Department at 517-483-4161. Your identity will be kept confidential and a representative will be sent out to follow up on the concern.

Can I have a backyard compost pile in the City of Lansing?

Yes, you may have a compost pile or bin in your backyard as long as it is properly maintained; this means that it cannot attract pests or disturb your neighbors.

Click here to learn more about backyard composting.

For additional information or to receive a packet on backyard composting, please call the CART office or email recycle@lansingmi.gov.

Does the City accept septic, porta potty or camper waste?

No. By their nature, these wastes are very diffuclt to treat at a municipal treatment plant.

Click here for information on facilities that do accept these types of waste.

What do I put my yard waste in?

Yard waste needs to be placed in either paper yard waste bags or tied together in a bundle by twine or string; these can be purchased at local retailers. Yard waste will not be accepted if it is placed inside of or tied together by plastic. Plastic is not compostable and can cause damage to machinery used to compost yard waste.

When is yard waste picked up?

The yard waste season generally runs for early-mid April and through November, however, this can sometimes be weather-dependent. Yard waste is picked up on the same day as trash and must be placed at the curbside by 7:00 a.m. on your collection day.

Click here to view the collection schedule. 

Where can I find an affordable compost bin?

Compost bins can be purchased at local lawn and garden centers. Compost bins can also be built on your own using pallets. If you are interested in building your own, please call the CART office for additional information.