Court Appointed Attorneys

All criminal defendants have the right to be represented by an attorney. If you cannot afford to hire an attorney, you may ask the court to appoint an attorney on your behalf.

Applying for a Court Appointed Attorney

Requests for court appointed attorneys should be made at your arraignment. If you are charged with a misdemeanor, you will be provided with an application for court-appointed counsel at your arraignment. If you are charged with a felony, the judge will ask during the arraignment if you want an attorney appointed to represent you. You do not need to complete an application for a felony charge, but you must let the judge know that you are requesting court-appointed counsel.

The Court may deny your application for a court appointed attorney if the Court determines that you are not indigent and can hire your own attorney, or if you are charged with an offense that is not likely to result in jail time.

A court-appointed attorney fee may be assessed to help defray the expense of providing indigent counsel.

Since traffic and municipal civil infractions are not crimes, court-appointed attorneys are not available for those cases.