MLK, Jr. Commission Scholarship and Essay Contest
The Greater Lansing Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday Commission is pleased to announce our 2019 High School Scholarship/Essay Contest! All Greater Lansing Area 6th-8th and 9th-11th graders are welcome to enter. Please download the permission slip and guidelines found at the bottom of this page. The Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday Luncheon Celebration will be hold on Monday, January 21, 2019 at the Lansing Center.
“Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
First ($500), Second ($350), and Third place ($150).
ALL ENTRANTS WILL RECEIVE A FREE HUNGRY HOWIE'S PIZZA.
- Parental permissions slip (attached below) must be completed for each contestant
- Essays must be typed (double spaced) or printed neatly in black ink
- Essay length should not exceed 300 words
- Essays should speak to the theme
- Essays presented using creative language styles are accepted (i.e. poetry)
- One copy of the parental permission slip and essay should be submitted to MLK Holiday Commission P.O. Box
2019 Mark S. McDaniel Legacy Scholarship Contest:
A total of $17,500 in awards is available to graduating seniors of the Greater Lansing area pursuing higher education.
The Commission will award TWO (2) $5,000 and THREE (3) $2,500 scholarships. All applications that meet the minimum requirements will be considered for all awards.
- Be a graduating senior, Class of 2019, from a Greater Lansing area school
- Possess a 2.0 or higher career GPA (verification required).
- Submit a personal narrative expounding on theme, clearly defining their community and/or civic activities, and indicate why they feel they should be considered for the scholarship.
- The narrative must be 250 – 450 words typed double spaced, and 12 point font.
- Award recipients must submit an electronic version of the narrative to the Commission upon notification of award.
- Two letters of recommendation (not from a related party).