6/27/16: Effective immediately, a ban on open burning in the City of Lansing has been enacted by the Lansing Fire Department until further notice.

Where Michigan Works!

City of Lansing

Welcome. Please contact me if I can help you in any way.

-Mayor Virg Bernero

Mayor Virg Bernero
Text Size:

Fire Department back

Floodplain Permit Requirements

The City of Lansing is NFIP compliant. That means that construction and other development in the floodplain has to be done in such a way that it won't make flooding worse. All new buildings in the floodplain must meet NFIP standards.

If a building in the floodplain is "substantially damaged" it must meet floodplain standards when it is repaired-even if the damage isn't caused by flooding.

"Substantial damage" is damage that will take more than 50% of the building's value (not including the value of the land) to repair. Repair costs are based on what it would cost to have a professional make the repair, even if you plan to do it yourself.

The same rule applies for remodeling or adding on to a building in the floodplain. If the improvement will cost more than 50% of the value of the building, the building must be made to meet NFIP standards.

After a flood there are some things that can be done to a home or other building without a permit, including cleanup and emergency repairs. A permit is needed before starting any other repair or reconstruction projects, including removing floors or studs, or replacing a furnace. This is required by federal law.

To find out if a property is in the floodplain call the Zoning Office at 483-4069.

To find out the value of your property and land, visit the City Assessor's section.

Randy Talifarro
Fire Chief
120 E. Shiawassee
Lansing, MI 48933

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.