Jury duty in 54A District Court is for one week, Monday through Thursday. Jurors call (517) 483-4439 each morning between 9:15 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. and are told if they need to report that day. Jurors told to report must be here by 10:15 a.m.
Requests to be Excused or Postponed
Requests to be excused or postponed from jury service must be made before your week of jury duty. Mail your request to Jury Clerk, 54A District Court, 124 E. Michigan Ave, Lansing, MI 48933, or call the Jury Clerk at 517-483-4443.
You may also request a postponement or to be excused on line at http://ja.ingham.org.
A request due to a medical condition must be accompanied by a doctor's statement.
Requests to be Disqualified
Requests to be disqualified are handled by the Ingham County Jury Board at http://ja.ingham.org, or (517) 483-6422. Grounds for disqualification are:
- Being over the age of 70 and not wishing to serve;
- Not able to speak or understand the English language;
- Having a permanent medical condition that precludes service;
- Not a resident of the City of Lansing;
- Having a felony conviction.
Depending on the reason you provide, you may be required to submit proof in order to be disqualified.
Jurors are paid $12.50 for one-half day, and $25.00 for the first full day. Juror pay increases to $20.00 for a second half day and $40.00 for a second full day and for each day thereafter. Jurors receive $1.50 in mileage any day they report. Parking is paid if you park in a City of Lansing parking facility.
Responsibilities of a Juror
- Call the jury hotline at 517-483-4439 between 9:15 - 9:30 Monday through Thursday.
- Arrive by 10:15 if told to report.
- Dress appropriately for court (no jeans, shorts, halters, flip-flops).
- Make child care arrangements in advance of your jury term.
- Arrange for your transportation to and from jury duty.
- If you are summoned for jury duty and do not report as required, you will be subject to contempt of court.