- Form-Based Code
- Fee Schedule (pdf)
- Forms and Petitions
- Design Lansing
- Board of Zoning Appeals
- Historic District Commission
- Walking Tour Brochure and Booklet
- Planning Board Information
- Public Hearings Scheduled
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Historic Preservation
- Contact Us
Lansing has ten (10) historic districts established by Council resolution and regulated by local ordinance Chapter 1220. Permits for construction, alteration, and demolition of resources in the districts are reviewed and approved by the Historic District Commission.
Additional Historical Surveys of Lansing
Memorandum '76 Historic Lansing, 1976
Reconnaissance Level Survey of Historic and Architectural Resources in Lansing’s Central Neighborhoods, Schneider and Somers, consultants, 1986.
Lansing Architectural Survey II – Historical and Architectural Surveys of Selected Previously Unsurveyed Areas, Henry and Henry Consultants, 1998.
A Phase III Architectural Resource Survey: Three Downtown Neighborhoods, Lansing Michigan, Great Lakes Research, Inc., consultants, 2000.
- Sec. 1 & 2 - Summary & Methodology
- Section 3.0 - ReoTown/River Point
- Appendix A - River Point Survey Forms
- Section 4.0 - N. Capitol Neighborhood
- Appendix B - N. Capitol Survey Forms
- Section 5.0 - Michigan School for the Blind
- Appendix C - MSB Survey Forms
Thematic Survey of Early Automotive History in Lansing, Michigan, From 1890 to 1930. July 2003. Mannik & Smith Group, consultants, 2003.
Capitol Historic District Proposal, Capitol Historic District Study Committee, 2001.
While this historic district proposal was not approved by City Council, the Study Committee’s report and property data sheets contain a wealth of valuable information about Lansing’s downtown neighborhoods.
- Study Committee Final Report (PDF)
- Interior's Standards and Guidelines of Rehabilitation
- State tax credits for rehabilitation work in local Historic District
National Historic Districts
As well as the Historic Districts that are regulated by council and local ordinance, the City of Lansing also has many sites that are on the National Historic District List. These sites are NOT regulated by Lansing City Council.
- Detailed list of National Historic District sites within Lansing
- Federal tax credits for rehabilitation work in a National Register Historic District