Where Michigan Works!

City of Lansing

Welcome. Please contact me if I can help you in any way.

-Mayor Virg Bernero

Mayor Virg Bernero
Text Size:

Public Service back

Hazardous Waste

Household Hazardous Waste

The Ingham County Health Department offers free collections of Hazardous Household Waste which include the following substances:

  • Pesticides 
  • Oil paints & paint Products (thinners, solvents, varnish)
  • Household batteries Photographic chemicals
  • Cleaners & Polishers Gasoline and other flammables
  • Aerosols Home Repair products (glues, cements)
  • Wood preservatives Mercury (thermometers, thermostats)
  • Asphalt & roofing tar Acids & bases (pool chemicals)
  • Automotive products

Bring your hazardous waste to a FREE collection each Tuesday and Thursday, from 2-6PM at the Ingham County Health Department at the corner of Cedar and Jolly, from the beginning of May to the end of September. Please call 517-887-4312 for more information.

Compact Fluorescent Light bulbs (CFL)

To be accepted, fluorescent lights should be packaged individually so as to allow EH personnel to transfer individual lights to waste hauler disposal containers. Fluorescent lights should NOT be wrapped or tapped together. This can easily break the lights (especially long fluorescent tubes) causing a risk to yourself and EH personnel. In Ingham County, these collections take place each Tuesday and Thursday, from 2-6pm at the Ingham County Health Department at the corner of Cedar and Jolly, from May-September. Please call 887-4312 for more information.

The Board of Water and Light also offers a free drop off for CFLs at their customer service center, located at 1232 Haco Drive, open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday thru Friday.

Home Depot stores will also accept CFLs.

RV Trailer Dump Sites

Sewage Waste Disposal for Recreational Vehicles (PDF)

You can find locations that accept RV trailer waste at the following websites:

Illegal Dumping (Illicit Discharges)

Illegal dumping, also called and an illicit discharge, is releasing pollutants like motor oil, sewage, fertilizer, pet waste and latex paint into the river or the storm sewer. Illicit discharges are pollutants released from stormwater and sewer pipes to the river or stormwater collection system.

If you see illegal dumping please report it by calling Lansing Public Service, O&M: 517-483-4161.

Chad Gamble
Public Service
7th Floor City Hall
124 W Michigan Ave.
Lansing, MI 48933
Ph: 517-483-4455
Fax: 517-483-6082

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Capital Area Recycling & Trash
Monday through Thursday
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.