- Fire Marshal's Office
- Code Compliance
- Fire Suppression
- Fire Stations
- Contact an Inspector
- Emergency Medical Services
- Emergency Information
- Emergency Management
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Maintenance Division
- Training Division
- Exit Drills
- Fire Heating Safety
- Fire Extinguishers
- Emergency Communication
Mitigation means making the effect of something less. The City has a flood mitigation plan that outlines things that we can do to minimize flood damage.
The goals of the Flood Mitigation Plan are to:
- Reduce the impact of flooding (protect life and property)
- Encourage residency and economic development (make the city a better place to live)
- Preserve and restore natural resources
- Encourage recreation on and around rivers
- Keep neighborhoods strong and intact
In January 2008 the City applied for a grant from FEMA to purchase 32 homes in the floodplain in Urbandale and Baker-Donora neighborhoods. If funded, this would be a pilot program to allow people to move out of the most vulnerable flood areas.
Other flood mitigation projects include public education, assessing and protecting infrastructure in the floodplain, and improving our ability to predict flooding locally.