- Fire Marshal's Office
- Code Compliance
- Fire Suppression
- Fire Stations
- Contact an Inspector
- Emergency Medical Services
- Emergency Management
- Emergency Information
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Maintenance Division
- Training Division
- Exit Drills
- Fire Heating Safety
- Fire Extinguishers
- Emergency Communication
Instructions For Use
These instructions are right on the extinguisher
- Pull the pin.
- Stand 6 to 8 feet away from the fire.
- Aim (point) extinguisher at the base of the fire.
- Squeeze lever and sweep side to side until flames are out.
Should You Fight the Fire?
- Pull the fire alarm, make sure everyone is leaving the building.
- Make sure the fire department has been notified.
- Make sure the fire is confined to a small area and not spreading.
- Make sure you have an unobstructed escape route.
Class A - Ordinary combustibles (anything that will leave an ash).
Class B - Flammable liquids (gas, oil, grease, tar, oil-based paint).
Class C - Energized electrical equipment (wiring, fuse boxes, circuits).
Class D - Combustible metals.
1A - 40A
Fire Extinguisher with a 2A rating will protect 3,000 square feet.
- Best if kept in high traffic locations.
- Always keep in plain sight (not under drapes, in closets, etc.).
- Place extinguisher in wall brackets no more than five feet off the floor.
- Place near exits and in all hazard areas.