- Form-Based Code
- Fee Schedule (pdf)
- Forms and Petitions
- Design Lansing
- Board of Zoning Appeals
- Historic District Commission
- Walking Tour Brochure and Booklet
- Planning Board Information
- Public Hearings Scheduled
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Historic Preservation
- Contact Us
The Planning Board reviewed the Design Lansing Plan at public meetings on August 2, September 6, October 4, and October 18. After its public hearing on November 9, the Planning Board adopted the Plan. It was then ransmitted to the Mayor for City Council consideration and final adoption, and on April 9, 2012, the Design Lansing Comprehensive Plan was adopted by City Council.
In this plan, Lansing has shown that it can unite around a new vision – the vision that is supported by the Administration and adopted by the Planning Commission and City Council. That vision will not be realized, however, without the continued support of Lansing’s citizens. This community support is needed to ensure that:
- The goals, objectives and policies of the plan are put into practice.
- Functional plans, (e.g. corridor improvement plans, streetscape plans, the Consolidated Plan, the Parks and Recreation Plan, etc.) support the comprehensive plan.
- Regulatory realignment is implemented to reflect new realities and the new vision. Placemaking, quality and community appearance are key elements of Lansing’s future success.
- The plan is updated regularly, with a course correction every five years as required by law.
The Plan encourages both collaboration and individual action. Collaboration is essential to achieve win-win solutions that benefit the community and the region. Yet each individual has an important role in the Plan. Every façade restored, every house rehabbed, every yard landscaped and every work of public art contributes to the sense of place so crucial to Lansing’s future success. Champions are also needed to advocate for plan recommendations in every arena.
The planning phase of Design Lansing is now completed. To view previous master plans and planning documents that were consulted during the Design Lansing Comprehensive Plan process checkout our Planning Documents page. We thank you again for your participation in the master plan process.
- Design Lansing Comprehensive Plan (Low Resolution PDF)
- Design Lansing Comprehensive Plan - Part I (High Resolution PDF)
- Design Lansing Comprehensive Plan - Part II (High Resolution PDF)
“We don't accomplish anything in this world alone ... and whatever happens is the result of the whole tapestry of one's life and all the weavings of individual threads from one to another that creates something.”
~ Sandra Day O'Connor
"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or other time. We are the ones we are waiting for."
~ Barack Obama
"If you plan cities for cars and traffic, you get cars and traffic. If you plan for people and places, you get people and places."
~ Fred Kent
“Successful City Planning: Public action that generates a desirable, widespread and sustained private market reaction.”
~ Alexander Garvin