In an effort to promote environmental and economic health for all those who live, work, and play in the Lansing area, Mayor Virg Bernero and the Lansing Board of Water & Light have launched the Live Green Lansing Initiative.
Live Green is a comprehensive effort designed to promote adoption of green technologies and practices throughout the region's communities, businesses and schools.
- Make City facilities more energy efficient
- Promote environmental education in schools
- Raise environmental awareness among residents
- Help industry and local businesses become "greener"
- Celebrate the "green" successes that are taking place in Greater Lansing
- Engage the community through programming and event planning
- Create and encourage regional resource networking
- Educate individuals, businesses, organizations, and City of Lansing departments on environmental issues and solutions
- Meet Mayor's Climate Protection Agreement guidelines
- Reduction of Greenhouse gas emissions to 7% less than 1990 emission levels.
- Meet energy standards set by Mayor Bernero's Executive Order of 2007
- Establish a Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) for City of Lansing
- 10% renewable energy by 2010, 15% by 2015, 20% by 2020
We are already making great strides in environmental protection here in the Lansing area, but the Live Green Lansing Initiative will push Greater Lansing to the forefront in sustainability and "green" development, strengthening our health, communities and economy.