Where Michigan Works!

City of Lansing

Welcome. Please contact me if I can help you in any way.

-Mayor Virg Bernero

Mayor Virg Bernero
Text Size:

Special Events Planning back

Electricity Use

If you will be using electricity for your event, you need to obtain an Electrical Permit. Electrical permits are required for the temporary use of generators, or power cabling from existing structures, to operate lighting or equipment used in conjunction with the tent(s) per Article 80.1, Item 5, of the 2008 National Electrical Code.

Contact the:
Planning and Neighborhood Development Office
Building Safety – suite C-1
316 North Capitol Avenue
Lansing, MI. 48933
Ph. 517-483-4369.

Contact the office first before starting to obtain a permit to explain the specific electrical requirements for your event.  A licensed electrical contractor will have to obtain the permit and they should contact the electrical division for what is needed. This can vary based on the size (KVA Rating) and number of generators proposed or temporary service hookups etc.

Ph: 517-483-4276 - Carol Munroe
Special Event Permit Application

Download and submit the Special Event Permit Application to apply for a special event permit. 

By submitting your request does not guarantee your event will be approved. All requests are subject to event day availability.