Where Michigan Works!

City of Lansing

Welcome. Please contact me if I can help you in any way.

-Mayor Virg Bernero

Mayor Virg Bernero
Text Size:

City Clerk's Office back

Register to Vote

Using your Michigan Drivers License Number or Personal ID number, you can change your registration address at www.expresssos.com.

You can register to vote by mailing in the following application:

Michigan Voter Registration Application
You can use this form to register to vote in Michigan or to change your name or address on your voter registration.

Solicitud de inscripcin de votantes de Estado de Michigan

Usted puede usar esta forma para inscribirse para votar en Michigan o cambiar su nombre o direccin en su inscripcin para votar.

You can also register to vote in person at any of the following places:

The Lansing City Clerk's Office
9th floor of City Hall
124 W. Michigan Ave.
Lansing, MI 48933.
Our phone number is 517-483-4133. Normal office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

The Ingham County Clerk's Office
Veterans Memorial Courthouse - 313 W. Kalamazoo St., Lansing
Ingham County Courthouse - 341 S. Jefferson Ave., Mason

Any Secretary of State Office:
Local offices are located at:
Capital Area Super Center - 3315 E. Michigan Ave., Lansing
Lansing Area Plus Office - 5827 W. Saginaw St., Lansing
Mason - 806 Hogsback Rd., Mason

Other Locations:
In addition, specified agencies providing services through the Department of Human Services, the Department of Community Health and the Department of Career Development offer voter registration services to their clients.

Who is eligible to vote in Michigan?

  • A United State citizen
  • At least 18 years of age by Election Day.
  • A resident of the City of Lansing or city or township in which you are applying to register.
  • Registered to vote at least 30 days prior to election.
  • You cannot be confined in jail after being convicted and sentenced.

When is the last date that I can register to vote for the next election?
To be eligible to vote for the next election you must register to vote at least 30 days prior to the election. Scheduled elections in the year 2016 are:

August 2, 2016 - State Primary Election - Registration closes July 5

November 8, 2016 - Presidential General Election - Registration closes October 11

Does everyone have to register to be eligible to vote?
Yes, registration is required under Michigan law to be eligible to vote.

Do I need to re-register to vote?
Registration in this state is considered permanent, so you do not need to re-register for each election. You need to re-register anytime you move and change your address or when you change your name. Re-registration is also necessary if for any reason your registration has been cancelled and it cannot be reinstated.

I am a first-time voter. Is there anything special I need to know?
If you have never voted in Michigan and register by mail, you must appear in person to vote in the first election in which you wish to participate. This requirement does not apply if (1) you personally hand deliver the mail registration form to your county, city or township clerk's office instead of mailing the form (2) you are 60 years of age or more (3) you are disabled or (4) you are eligible to vote under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act.

If you have never voted in Michigan and register by mail, you may also be subject to a new identification requirement provided under federal law. The identification requirement is explained on the mail-in registration form.

What if I am outside the U.S?
If you are temporarily outside the U.S., you may use a Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) form to register. The FPCA forms are distributed through U.S. embassies and military bases. A Michigan resident who moves and registers out of state may not re-register to vote in Michigan until he or she reestablishes residency here.

How do I to know if I reside in the City of Lansing?
You can call the City Clerk's Office at 517-483-4133 or check the Michigan Voter Information Center. If you have one, you can also check your voter registration card.

Can I register to vote at the polls on Election Day and then be able to cast my ballot?
No, you cannot register at the polls, you must have registered to vote at least 30 days prior to the election date in order to vote.

How do I find out if I am already registered to vote in Lansing?
You should call the Lansing City Clerk's Office at 517-483-4133 or check the Michigan Voter Information Center.

Do I need to re-register if I have moved away and moved back?
If you have moved to another community and registered to vote there, you will need to re-register to vote. If you have moved away for a long period of time and did not register to vote in that community you may wish to check with the local clerks office to see if you are still registered to vote.

I have moved within the city limits but I didn't change my registration, can I still vote? If so, where do I vote?
Yes, you can still vote but you must vote at the precinct location for your registered address. You should fill out a change of address form at your old precinct to receive a new voter registration card in the mail showing you your new ward and precinct number and new voting location.

What if I change my address?
If you move within your city, township or village, a change of address should be made with your local clerk or at a Secretary of State Branch Office. If you have not completed a change of address prior to Election Day, you will not lose your right to vote. A change of address card will be completed at the polling place when you vote.

If you move outside your city, township or village, a change of address should be made at a Secretary of State Branch Office. The change of address may be made by mail as well as in person. If you moved within 60 days of the election, and you have not re-registered at the new address, you can vote at the polling location for your previous address.

What if my name changes?
Any name change due to marriage or legal action may be reported to the clerk by:

  1. At the Secretary of State Branch Office
  2. A person changing name should re-register, but may vote under their former name.
Chris Swope
City Clerk
9th floor of City Hall
124 W. Michigan Ave.
Lansing, MI 48933.

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.