Where Michigan Works!

City of Lansing

Welcome. Please contact me if I can help you in any way.

-Mayor Virg Bernero

Mayor Virg Bernero
Text Size:

City Clerk's Office back


Passport information video

To obtain a U.S. Passport you must provide the following:

  • Proof of Citizenship (certified birth or original naturalization certificate.)
  • Valid picture identification (Driver's License or State I.D.)
  • 2" x 2" passport photo (white or light background.)
  • Passport Application - available at Clerk's office, do not sign until instructed to do so.
  • Further Information - U.S. Passport Website
Passport Fees

Effective January 18th, 2016
(Passport Form DSP-11)

Fees Paid US Passport Agency** Age 16 + Under 16
Passport Book Fee   
$110 $80
Passport Card Fee   
$30 $15
Expedite Fee (Additional) $60 
Overnight Return Mailing $22.95 
Fees below are paid to the City Clerk  
Execution Fees** $25 $25
Photograph $10 
Expedited Mailing Fee $20.66

** Check or Money Order only
** Fee paid to City Clerk - must be cash or a separate check or money order.

New Requirements for Travelers Between the United States and the Western Hemisphere

Areas that fall under the WHTI:
  • Canada
  • Mexico
  • Bermuda
  • The Caribbean region (includes 17 regions)
Air Travel

ALL PERSONS traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

Land and Sea Travel

ALL PERSONS entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to have a passport, passport card, or WHTI-compliant document.

Note: The passport requirement does NOT apply to U.S. citizens traveling to or returning directly from a U.S. territory.

U.S. Passport and WHTI Compliant Documents

U.S. Passport: U.S. citizens may present a valid U.S. passport when traveling via air, land or sea between the U.S. and the aforementioned Western Hemisphere countries.

The Passport Card: U.S. citizens may present a valid limited-use, wallet-size passport card for land and sea travel between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean region, and Bermuda.

WHTI-Compliant Travel Documents for U.S. citizen travel via land or sea, as of January 31, 2008:

  • Trusted Traveler Cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
  • State Issued Enhanced Driver’s License (when available)
  • Enhanced Tribal Cards (when available)
  • U.S. Military Identification with Military Travel Orders
  • U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business
  • Native American Tribal Photo Identification Card
  • Form I-872 American Indian Card

For further information see U.S. Customs and Border protection.

About WHTI

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative is a result of the Intelligence Reform and Prevention Act of 2004 (IRTPA), requiring all travelers to present a passport or other document that denotes identity and citizenship when entering the U.S.

The goal of the initiative is to strengthen U.S. border security while facilitating entry for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors by providing standardized documentation that enables the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler.

DISCLAIMER - The above requirements can change at anytime.  Please verify requirements at travel.state.gov

Renewal Passport Fees

Effective July 13, 2010
(Passport Form DSP-82)

You may use this form if you meet the following:
You can submit your most recent passport OR Your previous passport was issued on or after your 16 birthday and was issued within the past 15 years.

Total Fee $110.00 (check or money order)

Add $74.85 per Application for Expedited Service. Price includes urgent mailing or delivery service from the Passport agency to you. We provide Express Mail service through the United States Postal Service. The Express Mail charges will be collected at the time the passport application is made to send the application to the Passport agency ($18.30).

Passport services available Monday - Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Lansing City Clerk's Office, 124 W. Michigan Ave, 9th Floor, Lansing, MI 48933.

Chris Swope
City Clerk
9th floor of City Hall
124 W. Michigan Ave.
Lansing, MI 48933.

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.