Capital Area Community Services (CACS)
CACS is the main non-profit partner of the Financial Empowerment Center and co-recipient of the grant to City of Lansing from the Cities for Financial Empowerment Fund. The agency's mission is: "To eliminate the causes and conditions of poverty in Ingham, Eaton, Clinton, and Shiawassee Counties". CACS offers such services to the community as direct vendor payments for home heating and rent/mortgage assistance; free VITA tax preparation services; commodity foods distribution and emergency food assistance; homeless prevention services; and senior services. Two full-time counselors, Jim Crain and Sonia Diallo, deliver free financial counseling appointments at CACS Monday through Friday. In 2013, CACS has referred 40% of all Financial Empowerment Center clients.
Lansing Community College (LCC)
LCC is the official training partner of the Financial Empowerment Center. Their 48-hour training course, "Personal and Consumer Finance" must be completed by all counselors and managers of the Center. This course is part of LCC's Business and Community Institute (BCI) offerings. It is open to the public - you too can be trained in financial counseling!
Volunteers of America (VOA)
Volunteers of America is a national, nonprofit, faith-based organization dedicated to helping those in need rebuild their lives and reach their full potential. Since 1896, their ministry of service has supported and empowered America's most vulnerable groups, including at-risk youth, the frail elderly, men and women returning from prison, homeless individuals and families, people with disabilities, and those recovering from addictions. On Saturdays, the Financial Empowerment Center provides counseling on-site at VOA to benefit the homeless veterans who reside at the VOA facility in Lansing. In 2013, VOA has referred 12% of all Financial Empowerment Center clients. This year, 22 previously homeless veterans were able to secure housing after receiving free financial counseling at the Center.
Ingham County Department of Human Services (DHS)
Ingham County DHS helps residents access food assistance, cash assistance, child care, medical insurance, State Emergency Relief (SER), weatherization programs, and more. Kenyata Love Davidson delivers free financial counseling appointments at DHS on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. In 2013, DHS has referred 5% of all Financial Empowerment Center clients.
Tabernacle of David Church (TODC)
Tabernacle of David Church provides emergency services, homeless services and foreclosure counseling, as well as other services, including providing meals to college students every second Sunday of the month. TODC offers its facilities to the Financial Empowerment Center into the evenings on Tuesdays and Thursdays, to accommodate those whose work schedules will not allow for daytime appointments. Kenyata Love Davidson is the counselor on-site at TODC. In 2013, Tabernacle of David Church has referred 5% of all Financial Empowerment Center clients.
Advent House Ministries
Advent House Ministries offers help and hope for those who struggle with poverty and homelessness. Their programs include a weekend day shelter, transitional housing, employment readiness training and job placement assistance, and a GED Academy. Rebecca Urban offers financial counseling on-site at Advent House Ministries on Wednesdays and Thursdays during the day. Advent House has referred 2% of all Financial Empowerment Center clients to date.
The Office of Financial Empowerment is also proud to be partnered with:
- 54-A District Court
- Asset Independence Coalition
- CASE Credit Union
- Center for Financial Health
- Central Michigan 2-1-1
- Christian Services / LOVE Inc
- Church of Greater Lansing (COGL)
- City of Lansing - Human Relations and Community Services Department
- City of Lansing - Office of the Mayor
- City of Lansing - Treasurer's Office
- Community Mental Health
- Cristo Rey Community Center
- Flagstar Bank
- Head Start
- Ingham County Treasurer
- Lansing Housing Commission
- Michigan Department of Corrections - Lansing Parole Office
- PNC Bank
- LLC's Business and Communtiy Institute
- Malinda Barr's Get Up & Grow
- Lyngklip & Associates Consumer Law Center, PLC is a Michigan consumer protection firm, helping clients resolve consumer finance and debt issues. Their attorneys assist everyday people with credit reporting disputes, abusive debt collectors, and auto finance fraud. Litigating primarily under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) and Truth In Lending Act (TILA), Lyngklip and Associates provides access to justice for consumers who could not otherwise afford representation in disputes with business. Lyngklip & Associates has provided support training to the staff of the Office of Financial Empowerment and its partners.