Voter Initiated Amendment to the City Charter Changes the View on Marijuana Possession
In the fall of 2013, Lansing voters passed an amendment to the City Charter mandating that nothing in the Code of Ordinances shall apply to the use, possession, or transfer of less than one ounce of marijuana, on private property, by a person who has attained the age of 21 years.
The following five point guideline is provided as a resource to the citizens of the City on the reach of this new amendment. This information is provided for reference purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. If you need assistance on a matter related to marijuana use, possession, or transfer, you should consult with a private attorney.
1. The charter amendment applies only to the Lansing Code of Ordinances.
Actions that are no longer prohibited by the Lansing Code of Ordinances may remain crimes under state or federal law. Persons who violate state or federal law may still be subject to arrest and prosecution of those laws.
2. The charter amendment only applies to the "use, possession, or transfer" of marijuana.
3. The charter amendment is applicable only if the amount of marijuana in question is less than one ounce.
4. The charter amendment only applies on a "private property." The City interprets "private property" in this amendment to mean "a place not open to the public."
5. The charter amendment applies only to persons at or over the age of 21.
The Office of the City Attorney's purpose is to serve the citizens of the City of Lansing by protecting and defending the legal interests of the City. The City Attorney cannot provide legal advice to the general public. If you have a question as to how to proceed with any legal matter, please consult a private attorney.
Copies of the charter amendment can be obtained from the Office of the City Clerk.
The Office of the City Attorney is prohibited from providing legal advice to individual citizens. Information obtained here is not, nor is intended to be, legal advice. Please consult a private attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.