Where Michigan Works!

City of Lansing

Welcome. Please contact me if I can help you in any way.

-Mayor Virg Bernero

Mayor Virg Bernero
Text Size:

54-A District Court back

Landlord/Tenant Cases

Landlord/Tenant cases are intended to handle disputes between a landlord and tenant(s) occurring within the City of Lansing. There are several types of landlord tenant cases:

  • Non Payment of rent
  • Termination of tenancy
  • Health hazard or injury to premises
  • Land contract forfeitures and disputes

If you are renting an apartment, house, mobile home or some other building from someone, you are a tenant. A landlord is the person who is renting the apartment, house, mobile home, or some other building to you. Both landlords and tenants have legal rights.

If you have a tenant who is not paying rent, creating a health hazard, or just refusing to leave at the conclusion of the term of their lease and you want them to leave, you must first complete and serve upon the tenant the appropriate Notice to Quite. Use Demand for Possession, Non-Payment of Rent (DC 100a), Notice to Quit, Termination of Tenancy (DC100c) or Notice to Quit, Health Hazard/injury to Premises (DC 100b). You may deliver the notice to the defendant by personal service, substitute service, or first class mail. If the tenant has not vacated the property by the time period specified by the particular notice you used, you may file an action with the court.

To file an action with the court, you will need the following documents:

  • Summons (DC 104). This is the notice to the defendant that they are being sued
  • Complaint Non-Payment of Rent (DC 102a), Termination of Tenancy (DC102c), or Health
  • Hazard/Injury to Premises (DC 102b). The complaint lists the specific allegations why the tenants should be evicted. Be sure to use the complaint that matches the Notice to Quit that you served on the tenant.
  • Demand for Possession, Non-Payment or Rent (DC 100a), Notice to Quit, Termination of Tenancy (DC 100c) or Notice to Quit, Health Hazard/injury to Premises (DC 100b) form which was served on the defendant with proof of service completed.
  • Lease or written agreement.

The tenant needs to be served with two copies of each of these documents; one by a process server and one by first class mail. Please refer to the chart below for the number of copies of each document you will need to provide. You will also need to pay a filling fee when the action is filed.

Number of copies needed to file landlord/tenant case:

**One Tenant:

  • Summons (5-part form)
  • Complaint (4-part form)
  • Original Notice to Quit + 3 copies
  • 3 copies of lease or written agreement
  • 1 stamped envelope addressed to tenant

**Two Tenants:

  • Summons form + 2 additional copies of 2nd page
  • Complaint form + additional copies of the front page
  • Original Notice to Quit + 5 copies
  • 5 copies of lease or written agreement
  • 2 stamped envelopes, one addressed to tenant #1, the other to tenant #2

Note: For each additional tenant, add two copies of everything + 1 envelope.

54A-District Court
6th Floor City Hall
124 W Michigan Ave
Lansing ,MI 48933
(517) 483-4433

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Civil Department:
(517) 483-4426