Where Michigan Works!

City of Lansing

Welcome. Please contact me if I can help you in any way.

-Mayor Virg Bernero

Mayor Virg Bernero
Text Size:

Special Events Planning back

Tent or Temporary Structure

If you plan to have tents on site at your event and they are 120 sq. feet or larger, you will need to acquire a building permit. This can be obtained through the;

Planning and Neighborhood Development Office
Building Safety – suite C-1
316 North Capitol Avenue
Lansing, MI. 48933
Ph. 517-483-4155 or 517-483-4355

The staff will explain what needs to be done and how to fill out the building application.

This is as per Michigan Building Code

  • Tents are classified as membrane structures that are regulated by section 3102 Michigan Building Code 2009 (MBC) and Chapter 24 of the International Fire Code. To temporarily occupy a tent (or tents) larger than 120 square feet you must first obtain a Building Permit as required by section 3103.1.1 MBC.
    • 3103.1.1 Permit required. Temporary structures that cover an area in excess of 120 square feet, including connecting areas or spaces with a common means of egress, or entrance which are used or intended to be used for the gathering together of 10 or more persons, shall not be erected, operated or maintained for any purpose without obtaining a permit from the building official.
  • In addition, A copy of the tents Flame Retardant Treatment Certificate must be submitted. OnSite inspection of the site is to be arrainged with the Lansing Fire Department’s Fire Marshal’s Office
Ph: 517-483-4276 - Carol Munroe
Special Event Permit Application

Download and submit the Special Event Permit Application to apply for a special event permit. 

By submitting your request does not guarantee your event will be approved. All requests are subject to event day availability.