Where Michigan Works!

City of Lansing

Welcome. Please contact me if I can help you in any way.

-Mayor Virg Bernero

Mayor Virg Bernero
Text Size:

City Attorney back


Claim Form - Special Assessment
Claim Form - Property Damage and Personal Injury
Description of  Claims Review Process

Our Office processes claims against the City.  A claim is any situation where the City is alleged to have created property damage or a financial obligation.  This can include, but is not limited to:

  • Damage to property by City owned vehicles or employees discharging their duties
  • Special Assessments on property, such as Grass and Weeds or Board Up Fees
  • Improperly charged fees for City services like recycling

For sewer back up issues or damage caused by potholes on City roads, please contact the Public Service Department at (517) 483-4455 for the appropriate forms.

Claims involving Special Assessment on property are reviewed and resolved by the Claims Review Committee.  For an explanation of the Claims Review Process, follow the Description of Claims Review Process link above.  You may use the following form to submit a claim regarding a special assessment on property. 

Claim Form - Special Assessments

Claims involving property damage alleged to have been caused by City owned vehicles or City employees while performing their assigned duties are handled by the OCA in coordination with the City's insurance company.  You may use the following form to submit such a claim.

Claim Form - Property Damage and Personal Injury

Please feel free to contact us at (517) 483-4320 for additional information.

124 W. Michigan Ave., 5th Floor
Lansing, MI 48933

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
District Court walk-ins accepted only on day of appointment